At 11.7 hectares, the baroque palace and gardens at Bothmer are the largest in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern.
The estate – located to the south of the town of Klütz – was built between 1726 and 1732 by Hans Caspar Graf from Bothmer, based on Dutch and English architectural tradition. But the client never actually saw his detailed palatial plans come to fruition – his career as a diplomat meant that he was always away travelling. At 11.7 hectares, the baroque palace and gardens are the largest in Mecklenburg-Vorpommern. The ensemble is comprised of the main house, adjoining buildings and cavelier's houses. The 11-window-wide, two-storey building does not feature the decorative façade design that is typical of the Baroque style. Instead, it is decorated with a gable, a staircase and sparingly applied sandstone mouldings.
In 2008, the state acquired the ensemble of 13 buildings. With the help of EU funding, it carried out a thorough 36-million-euro programme of renovations on the site. The state engaged engineering firm Beyer from Neumünster to supply the building technology. The company recommended a KNX system with a powerful Gira HomeServer.
Dirk Beyer also programmed a range of light scenes: In the ballroom and the staircases and hallways leading to it, the lighting is adjusted as required. The chandeliers in the ballroom can also be turned on individually when needed. In the exhibition area, Dirk Beyer programmed light scenes that allow exhibitors to present the works on display in their best light. At the end of the exhibition day, the light scene "Off" can be used to conveniently turn off all lighting via a pushbutton sensor.
Today, Schloss Bothmer offers a varied programme of cultural events, a conference centre and a gastronomy area. The palace grounds are also open to visitors.