A passion play theatre was built between 1957 and 1959 in the middle of the Tyrolean mountain landscape only a few kilometres from the border to Bavaria. Built based on plans by the architect Robert Schuller, the deceptively spacious 1500-capacity theatre is located in the municipality of Erl, which – coincidently – has just under 1500 residents. Robert Schuller inserted the building harmoniously into the landscape and made its unusual and bold shape a distinctive landmark for the area. The construction is still considered an acoustic and architectural masterpiece. However, heating was never planned for the building, which resulted in performances hitherto not being held in Erl in the winter.